Broad River Electric Cooperative members who were members at any point from January 1, 2007, to January 31, 2020, may receive an unexpected bill credit or check due to a class-action lawsuit settlement regarding the failed V.C. Summer Nuclear Generating Station project.
The settlement calls for $520 million to be returned to Santee Cooper customers and South Carolina’s electric cooperatives’ members.
Eligible Broad River Electric members received the first of two settlement payments in 2020. The first payment in 2020 covered around 70% of the total amount due. The remaining 30% will be applied in late February or March as a second settlement payment.
Broad River members who were entitled to an amount greater than $50 were issued a check through mail, while those who were entitled to an amount less than $50 received a credit on their electric bill.
The payments were determined by a court-approved process, and Broad River Electric did not calculate them. Those who became members after January 31, 2020, are not entitled to the settlement.
If you have any questions regarding the settlement process, you may contact the Settlement Administrator:
- Cook v. SCPSA, Class Action Administrator, P.O. Box 3127, Portland, OR 97208-3127 (Please include your name and your return address on all correspondence).
- 1(833) 947-0894 (Toll-Free)
- Frequently Asked Questions (external link)