Many of you have likely seen the reports about rising energy prices across the country and the likelihood of increased energy rates through the winter. In light of this, I want to reassure our members that rising energy costs will not be passed on to you, as our base rates at Broad River Electric Cooperative will not increase this year.
Our members have been through a lot this past year. We have all been dealing with inflated costs at the pump and at the grocery store, and now energy prices are estimated to rise between 13% to 30% by the end of the year.
However, at Broad River Electric, we took proactive steps early on when we became aware of rising prices that helped prevent us from raising rates on members this year, and we will continue to do so next year. Even in a worst-case scenario, our rates will not increase by more than 1% in 2023, and the goal is to not increase them at all. That means your monthly bills won’t be any higher unless you increase your use-and if that happens, we have a number of ways to help you.
We work to provide reliable electric service at reasonable rates, and we couldn’t do it without you, our valued members. You help us in this mission when you sign up for services like SmartHub to manage your energy use or take advantage of our rebates and incentives that help cut the cost of products that make your home more energy efficient.
At Broad River Electric, a home that meets our standards for energy efficiency qualifies for a lower energy rate. When you install energy-efficient appliances, such as heat pumps and high-efficiency water heaters, you minimize energy consumption. Some of the new heat pumps use half as much power as those made 10 to 15 years ago. And today’s water heaters are better insulated to retain heat longer.
How do you know whether your home meets the requirements? By having an on-site inspection. View the qualifications on our website. If you think you meet the criteria, give us a call to set up an appointment for an inspection.
Thank you for being a valued member of Broad River Electric. If you have any questions about your bill, our cost-cutting services, or anything else, please don’t hesitate to call us at (866) 687-2667.
Interested in becoming a board member?
Broad River Electric members elect three new board trustees each year to serve on the co-op’s board. If you are interested in running as a candidate for the election held in April, please note the qualifications below.
In order to be eligible to become, or to remain, a trustee of the Cooperative, a candidate must:
1. Be at least a two-year member of the co-op who receives service at their primary residence;
2. Not be a “close relative” as defined by these bylaws to any trustee or employee of the Cooperative;
3. Have the legal capacity to enter into legally binding contracts;
4. Have not been employed by the Cooperative in the past 10 years;
5. Possess or obtain a NRECA Trustee’s Certificate or similar certification of education and training that may be specified by the Board of Trustees;
6. Attend at least eight monthly board meetings each year, with any absences being excused by the Board of Trustees for good cause;
7. Not be engaged with, or employed by, a Cooperative competitor;
8. Not have been found guilty of a criminal offense punishable by more than one-year imprisonment, or a crime of moral turpi- tude or dishonesty;
and 9. Not have engaged in fraudulent or dishonest acts, or gross abuse of authority in the discharge of duties to the Cooperative.
For the full list of qualifications or for more information, contact our member care center at (866) 687-2667 or download our full Bylaws.