On March 25, 1940, a group of farmers and merchants from Cherokee, Union and Spartanburg counties gathered at the Cherokee County Courthouse to hear from county agents and representatives from the Rural Electrification Administration about how they finally could have access to electricity by forming a member-owned electric cooperative.
By June 10, 1940 Broad River Electric Cooperative was incorporated and by October of the next year new co-op lines were being energized by a new substation on Pacolet Highway in Cherokee County. The cooperative's service expanded into rural areas of Union and Spartanburg Counties, as well.
Glenn Inman, who came from Cherokee County's Sunnyside community, was the driving force in the local co-op's creation and the first manager. Union County's Carlisle Hart was elected Chair of the Board of Trustees in 1951 and would remain in that position for 50 years. Succeeded by current board chair Norris Fowler, those member-elected trustees brought in sharp, forward-thinking managers like Broadus Brown, Bob Carroll, Richard Baines, and Doug Wilson to build a community-minded utility with 2,600 miles of line and over 20,000 meters.
Current CEO Terry Mallard and the Board of Trustees has continued the tradition of visionary leadership and service to the members of Broad River Electric Cooperative.
Together, they have helped the cooperative become a utility respected across the region and a cooperative the members know they can depend on.
All members are entitled to a copy of Power for Progress: A History of Broad River Electric Cooperative. A DVD of the video show here is also available upon request.